Individuals who are afraid of dentists can benefit from sedation dentistry. Many people suffer from dental anxiety, which keeps them from seeking treatment when problems arise in their mouths. Most dental disorders, however, do not go away on their own. Treatment is required to avoid the problem from worsening, which could result in a great deal of discomfort, money, and time. Fortunately, sedation dentistry is a viable option. Individuals who are afraid of the dentist can have their procedure done in sedation dentistry setting to assist alleviate their fears, allowing for proper oral health care.
You should visit a sedation dentist if you need dental work completed. Dentists in Eugene provide sedation dentistry for patients living in and around Eugene. Due to dental anxiety, visiting the dentist can be an overwhelming or frightening experience for millions of adults.
How sedation dentistry can help you overcome dental phobia
Patients who receive sedation dentistry feel more relaxed and less worried. The goal is to make the patient’s visit to the dentist as pleasant as possible so that they no longer regard it as a frightening encounter that should be avoided.
Even if you don’t have dental anxiety, sedation dentistry can help you if you experience back or neck pain during your treatment or if you need a lot of dental work done. Dental sedatives can minimise the frequency of visits to the dentist since they allow patients to stay comfortably in the dentist’s chair for longer. Dental sedatives can be used for a wide range of operations, from minor cosmetic procedures like tooth whitening to major surgical procedures like implant placement. Dental sedatives are frequently used to treat concerns such as:
- Jaw muscles that hurt
- Dental fears
- Low tolerance for pain
- Excessive gag reflexes
- Patients who do not respond to local anaesthesia
- Previous negative dental experiences
- Inability to sit still for long periods of time
Sedatives commonly used in dentistry
Dentists assess their patients before deciding if sedation dentistry is appropriate for them. The patient’s medical history, current medications, and level of anxiety will all be evaluated during the evaluation.
The dentist may propose sedation dentistry procedures based on their findings, such as:
- Oral sedatives: A dentist may recommend that a patient take an oral sedative prior to their treatment. This reduces their fear of going to the dentist. Because this drug makes it difficult to drive, transportation to and from the clinic should be provided.
- Sedatives for inhalation: Patients are frequently given nitrous oxide to help them relax during treatments. Laughing gas is administered by a facemask placed over the patient’s jaw. It takes action in minutes and fades just as quickly.
- Intravenous sedation: Medication that helps patients relax can be given intravenously. Patients that require a higher level of sedation are usually given this sort of medication. As needed, the dentist can change the amount of medication injected into the patient’s veins.
Try trying some dental sedatives.
Sedation dentistry can make dental visits and procedures more comfortable. Make an appointment with our dentist at Quest Dental by calling or visiting our Eugene location.
For an appointment in our Eugene facility, please visit our office or call Quest Dental at 541-688-7278.